Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Saw-whet Owl Banding





These owls were caught mist-netting in Yellowwood State Forest in South Central Indiana. They were being caught during their migration southward for the winter. Indiana as at the very southern part of their range. A variety of measurements were taken on these owls...they were then banded and released. This is all being done as a part of a research project. They were the cutest little owls and their feathers are super soft. They seemed to enjoy a nice scratch on the head as well! :)

For more My World posts, click here!

11 comments:

dianasfaria.com said...

what amazing work you are involved in. It's young bright people like you that give me great hope for our world! Thanks for sharing this!

chrome3d said...

It looks so happy to get a scratch! Wonderful stuff.

Louise said...

Cute indeed! So tiny, and I love those intense yellow eyes!

Jane Hards Photography said...

I am such a huge bid lover I have a siskin on my hand on my blog that was injured but an owl is incredible.

Anonymous said...

awwww...that is so cute!! I love the last pic, he/she looks like she's so enjoying the scratch:) Hey, that's quite admirable work you're doing. Kudos!

Debbie@Like a Rose said...

They are adorable! And what interesting work you do.

Arija said...

They reallly are little darlings and so trusting!

Glennis said...

How delightful! I used to go mist netting for finches mainly and had a great time, it is so wonderful to hold a live bird in your hands, sadly we never caught an Owl,as we were always netting during the day when finches are busy eating seed heads. I can see that little owl enjoyed the scratch.

Leedra said...

Those eyes are so bright!

Leedra’s Photos For Fun
Leedra’s Greeting Cards
Photography By Leedra

Eric Ripma said...

Nice photos. Looks like a lot of fun. Funny that they like a scratch on the head, all the birds I have ever banded just want to get away.

Anonymous said...

Awwwww! How adorable! I have yet to see an owl (outside of a zoo), yet alone hold one. How cool!