Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Southern Illinois- Mammalogy Field Trip

Eptesicus fuscus- Big Brown Bat
Perimyotis subflavus- Eastern Pipistrelle with condensation on it

These bats were seen in a mine owned by UNIMIN. We could get so close to them because they were hibernating. They slowly woke up as we were in there.

This is part of the Mammalogy collection at Southern Illinois University-Carbondale. They have an enormous collection which is pretty cool. Notice all of the ribs on the sloth that support its organs since it hangs from trees its entire life. It forms a sort of basket-like shape.


Garden of the Gods- This was a site where the endangered Neotoma floridana (Eastern Woodrat) was re-introduced.

For more My World posts, click here!

9 comments:

Jenn said...

Those are strange looking bats and what a site/ sight! :-) Great post!

Erin said...

the little bat legs look almost like large insect legs...and the ice on the bat (enlarged) is a good shot. enjoyed your post and commentary.
thanks for sharing.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Cool post! I don't konw what I'd do if I ever saw a bat. LOL! Love the last shots of the mountains. Nature - you can't beat it. :-)

chrome3d said...

That skeleton would really make a nice basket. I don´t know if I could look at it all the time, though.

Jack and Joann said...

great shots. Good luck in your studies. We need more students like you.

Inday said...

Another educational blog to share here. I like those nature-sculptured rocks.

Amanda Guthrie said...

What a great field trip. Your mammals were opposites though huh? One moves quickly and is energetic the other barely moves and when it does it's s.l.o.w. Thanks for sharing these great shots of your trip.

Barb said...

Do you mean Garden of the Gods in CO? Interesting field trip.

Judy said...

I never even thought about ribs in a sloth! There are a LOT of them, though!